Happy New Year!
I hope you had a safe and fun New Year’s Eve and are feeling refreshed and ready to see what Mr Market bring us in 2024.
He seemed pretty upbeat last week. The AORD did finish the year at a 52 week high, but did not quite beat its all time high. The AFR is predicted today will be a little down due to US market issues (as usual).
As it’s the start of the month, let’s take a look at how our Light portfolios are performing.
LIGHT PORTFOLIO GROUP RESULTS
As a group, our portfolios had a strong finish to the year, slightly better than the SPDR200, and are up 4.46% CAGR pa versus the benchmark which is up about 8%. Our goal is to achieve double market performance and we aren’t hitting that yet for these portfolios (our ~4 year old Dummy Portfolio *is* achieving double market, with a total return of 18.97% pa), but you can see in the below chart that our relative performance in the last couple of months has been slightly better than the index and we are catching up. TK says it wouldn’t take much for us to overtake and zoom past it. We’re just waiting to a clear run.
This portfolio closed 18/04/2022, just as the market crashed due to the Ukraine war. Horrible timing. As a result, we have been sitting on a lot of cash for a long time, looking for something to buy. It’s still down ~2% pa (vs SPDR 200 +8%), but it has been slowly recovering since its low in May.
This portfolio closed 08/08/2022 and is up ~17% pa (vs SPDR 200 +5.5%).
This portfolio closed 07/11/2022 and has recovered back to neutral position (vs STW +10.5%). It spent a lot of the last year holding cash waiting for the market to recover.
This one closed 20/06/2023 and is currently up ~1% (vs SPDR 200 +10%). As you can see in the chart, it took a few big losses in Sep – Nov but has been recovering since then quite quickly.
Because it’s a quiet day, here are some other tables that you might find interesting.
Sector Performance (All Time)
Holding Performance (All Time)
If you want an insight into how all of the stocks have performed individually, click this link for a large table.
I’ll be doing a webinar in a few weeks.
** Please remember to review our Buying Guidelines to understand which cap bands you should be looking at and other important considerations.
In the interest of full disclosure, we would like to advise that, as of the date of this email, the QAV team currently hold these stocks in their personal portfolios:
Please note that our personal holdings might not include the stocks we recommend in QAV Light. This is because we already have full portfolios (15-20 stocks) and can only add new stocks if we have to sell something.
If you’re interested in learning more, please review our trading and disclosure policy.
FOR NEW MEMBERS
If you’re new to QAV Light, here’s a quick reminder on how it works.
- We send you an email every Monday advising which stocks we are adding to our Light portfolio.
- You can copy our trades, but please remember to review our Trading Guidelines to understand which cap you should be looking at and other important considerations. And consult a financial planner before making any decisions.
- We don’t recommend that you add stocks which are already in our portfolio. Their position on our buy list might have changed since we recommended them. Just start with the stocks recommended after you become a member.
- If one of the stocks we add breaches one of our sell conditions, we will sell it from our portfolio and you’ll get an email advising of the trade. Again, you can copy our trades, but seek financial advice before making any decisions. And please check your Rule #1 price (see Trading Guidelines).
- If you come across any QAV terminology that you don’t understand, please review our terminology guide or just email us for clarification.
That’s it for today!
If we decide to buy or sell something, we’ll let you know.
Got a question?